31 October 2007

The Future of the LA Galaxy Offside


A couple of weeks ago, reader CentralCoaster asked me this:
“Are you gonna ditch us once the Sounders join MLS?”

Fair question. If any of you have been around since the LA Galaxy Offside started up last January, you’ll remember that this blog began as an experiment: Could my French-football-loving self learn to love and support MLS? And since my hometown (Seattle) didn’t have a team, I picked the Galaxy as the object of my affections, largely because I think they’re physically closest. (Although I would be lying if I said the intrigue surrounding the Beckham signing didn’t have something to do with it.)

And now, although we’re still awaiting the official announcement, it looks like Seattle is going to be one of the next expansion cities. Probably in 2009, but possibly as early as 2008. So what does this do to my newfound Galaxy love?

First thing. Yes, I will absolutely be supporting any Seattle MLS team that might appear. I’ll be buying season tickets as soon as they become available. (In the cheap seats, where all the cool people hang out.)

But about the Galaxy. Something funny happens when you write about a team several times a day for nearly ten months. Your emotions get activated. Or at least mine have. And I just can’t imagine it ending here. I want to know the next chapter of the story! Will Beckham regain his fitness? Will Landon hang around? Will Frank hold onto his job? Will our minimum wagers get raises or get traded? And will they pull everything together to reach their potential next year?

The season’s over, but the story isn’t.

(Oh, and plus? I think I write better when I don’t run the risk of running into the object of my latest groin-related post at the corner 7-11.)

And so… Well, there are some great soccer-loving writers in Seattle, and I’m absolutely certain that one of them will start and run a fantastic Sounders Offside. Or whatever they end up calling it.

Galaxy fans, I believe you’re stuck with me. And I may post less frequently in the off-season, but I don’t plan to go into total hibernation. So be sure to stop by and say hi, even if there’s nothing going on.

And thanks for stopping by.

Artikel Terkait

The Future of the LA Galaxy Offside
4/ 5
Oleh

Berlangganan

Suka dengan artikel di atas? Silakan berlangganan gratis via email